Sunday, December 16, 2007

GLORY, GLORY!!!!!!

So, Behka had to bring up the Good Ol' Glory days. If you haven't read hers, follow the linkage. Pretty fun! It's funny to go back.....way back, to the Glory DAZE. Here's a few pics of Jared and me in our PRIME...Yeah, Baby. I'll try to paint a picture of how awesome we were back in the day. Go # 20!! Junior High AAU at its best right here. Just look at those legs, I think Junior High was the last time I legally could wear short shorts, although I've tried since. Lets see if I can remember everyone's name....23, Camille Cruz; 25, Suzanne Marsh; 15, Jody Sasse; 13, Kimberly Leonard; 21, Mandy Wood; 14, Anne Krohn; 20, ME!!; 10, Kristi Butorac; 22, Angie Icantremember; 12, Lindsay Taylor. JH AAU was fun. We'd always get crushed by the Jordettes, seriously, that part was not fun.



You can still be pretty and play ball too!! Okay, so I couldn't find any pictures of me from HS, but I had to add this one in just for my husband because...See me with the tall red head?? Yes, he's Brian Scalabrine...plays for the Boston Celtics. For some reason Jared loves to tease me about him. He was never a boyfriend, although he would have liked to be (who wouldn't), but he was a good friend to me. HS ball was great. Dad always rebounded for me, taught me ALL I know....my senior year he would talk about "my bag of tricks". This referred to some of my offensive scoring moves. I had a great bag of tricks...... back in the day. Amazingly my team made it to state and we took 4th. Quite an accomplishment for us.




Here's my extremely talented husband....


Very athletic....quick on his feet....scoring machine. Every once in awhile we'll break out our highlight tapes from HS. Jared could drive to the basket like no other. Slicin' and Dicin', around defenders, jukin' and jivin'. He always found a way to the basket and could always finish....and one.
Jared was also a Football all-star. He was a receiver. He held the PHS career record for number of catches, Touchdowns and yards, until 2002 when his record was broke, he moved to #2. Then he was pushed back to #3 when the record was CRUSHED by a future Washington Husky. We don't bring this up....it's still pretty touchy. His Senior year he was a STATE CHAMPION!! Go Mustangs.
Ricks was exciting. I got to start as a freshmen. As I'm writing this I can hear The Eye of the Tiger, we ran out of the tunnel to The Eye of the Tiger, Oh the memories...great warm-up tape Kaly!! We went to Salina, Kansas for Nationals. We took 5th, is that right?? I loved my team. We had some fun times. One of my favorite memories is when SJ really made coacher mad at practice, so coacher took her jacket off and threw it on the floor and yelled at SJ "Do you want to be the coach?!!!" Wow! I also had my fair share of making coacher mad. Coach Grant was awesome, I think he kept all us girls sane, but I hated doing the close out drills.
Here we are!! I like this picture of me because it makes me look athletic, even though I'm pretty positive I missed this lay-up, because I always missed my lay-ups. My 3 point percentage has always been higher than my 2.




My freshmen year Jared played too. That's how we met!! I looked forward to every road trip so I could sit with him on the bus and flirt. Jared enjoyed his teammates, but not Coach Nelson so much. He's a yeller. They also went to Nationals. They finished 8th I think.
After my Freshmen year, Jared and I got married and he was my #1 fan my sophomore year. Lucky ME!!!


Washington State wanted me to play for them after Ricks, but I was ready to be done. Good thing, cause Hailey came along soon after.

So, no stats or anything too fancy, but ball was a big part of my life for a really long time. I also should mention that Behka and I were Spanish Fork City League CHAMPS, more than once!! We also played Provo VB and took 2nd, and played in the Canyonlands VB tournament and took 2nd as well. We still have great moments every once in awhile.



11 comments:

behka said...

WOW JESSIE!!
You are hillarious! Ah, the glory daze. And yes, Washington State was so disappointed you wouldn't go play. Coach E (and I!) couldn't believe it. Time and a season for all things. I think your best trick in your bag was your heart. Every time I watched you play, you were at it 110%! No half way for you. I LOVED watching you play, the same way I love watching the brothers now. Your senior year state tourney was incredible! Your bag o tricks got your team to #4. Awesome stuff. Jared looks pretty cool too. Your kids may have some quick-twitch in em!

behka said...

PS Check out those AAU legs! Woot Woo! You had some skinnies! I gave short shorts one too many tries, it was too bad. Again, time and a season!

behka said...

J-last comment I promise! How can I hope to repeat great accomplishments in SF and Provo with you in AZ? Hustle back to UT!

Lindsey said...

Oh my gosh! I loved the pictures and learning more about your life before I met you! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I'm praying for the quick twitch. My kids could do without the slow-as-molassis Stafford trait. As Ike would always tell me "Your arms run faster than your legs" apparently I needed to get my arms into it to have my legs do anything!!

Lee Family said...

Jess - Love the sports recap. I'd like to point out that I'm in the picture of you shooting your lay-up (that probably went in)! You need to come out to Boston and see your old boyfriend! You have a place to stay you know.
Go Ricks Vikings!! Viking pride WILL never die.

behka said...

Just a report on the ongoings at ball today: Jess is here in UT visiting for the holidays and we went and played ball this morning. She was out of her head. She had deep 3s and even showed off her bag o tricks a bit. She was definately the MVP of the day!! And, all at 110%. I LOVE PLAYING BALL W/ MY SIS!!

Jess said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jess said...

Right....you should have seen my first shot. I couldn't make a decision, so at the last second I threw it up there, didn't even jump....beautiful stuff.

The Richins Family said...

i liked seeing pics before you guys met and you two playing basketball. in one picture, jared has hair. :) just kidding jared.

Jennie said...

Okay call me stupid but I had no idea how cool the two of you are...I mean were. hehe So nice to see stuff like that! Maybe I should do a blog...ahhh...nope, I'm not talented enough to pull off a blog as cute as yours!