Sunday, March 1, 2009

Caffeine and the Word of Wisdom

Today in RS our lesson was on substance abuse and addiction. Great, inspired lesson. We will be having FHE tomorrow on the Word of Wisdom.
We got on the subject of caffinated soda and a visiting sister had recently listen to President Hinckley's interview on 60 minutes with Mike Wallace. Mike was basically stating some of our beliefs and our "very stict health code", and President Hinckley was affirming them.

I have to admit that I love diet cola. I have been drinking it for a few years. Growing up I never drank caffeine. I remember after a softball game in Jr. High that one of the players brought a treat for everyone and had brought caffeinated soda. There was no way I was going to have any. The only time I ever saw either of my parents drink caffeine was when we would drive to UT and my mom would drink jolt to stay awake. Now I drink it. In front of my kids. My kids have had some too. Here's what was said in the interview:

Mike Wallace: Example. Mormons adhere to a very strict health code.
[Gordon B. Hinckley interview]
Mike Wallace: No alcohol, no tobacco, no coffee, no tea, not even caffeinated soft drinks...
Gordon B. Hinckley: Right.

Hmmm. I don't feel so great about my decision to drink caffeine. I'm not being a good example to my children or anyone who may see me drinking it. President Hinckely has confirmed that we, as Latter Day Saints, don't drink caffeine. Why did I think that I was exempt from this?

So I'm kicking the habit. No more caffeine. Goodbye diet cola.

11 comments:

Van Cott Family said...

Way to go. Good luck. Coke does make a diet and caffeine free drink that I craved when I was pregnant with Isaac. But it may be against the spirit of the law thing, your call.
--Julie

kimberlina said...

I loved the lesson too and thought of a few habits that I need to watch...like spending way too much time on the computer and not getting enough sleep. I'm with you - I am recommitting myself to doing better!

Katrina said...

You go, girl!

Taryn said...

Good for you. I totally need to kick this habit. I mean I hardly drink caffeine soda, but I'll admit, a cold mt.dew every once in awhile is sooo great! I though never felt exempt...I always think I am sinning by doing it, but I can't resist. It's my vice in life. I kick it while pregnant, I suppose I just need to keep at it while I am not!

Taryn said...

Good for you. I totally need to kick this habit. I mean I hardly drink caffeine soda, but I'll admit, a cold mt.dew every once in awhile is sooo great! I though never felt exempt...I always think I am sinning by doing it, but I can't resist. It's my vice in life. I kick it while pregnant, I suppose I just need to keep at it while I am not!

Isaak and Jackie said...

way to follow the prophet. Thanks for sharing your growth.

Cassi @ Stop And Smell The Roses said...

Oh Jess.... I have been contemplating this for a while. We stopped a while back, and it really wasn't that bad. Once we stopped buying it, it was way easier, but I must say... some days I could really use a cold diet Pepsi. Thanks for putting this one on here... I just need to remember that if I EVER crave anything, it's best to say no. You're an inspiration!

Sara Schumacher said...

I loved Kera's lesson. We have nixed caffeine from our diets as of that lesson. I feel thankful that knowledge was shared with us, because I had no idea President Hinkley said that. :)

Sami said...

Good for you Jess! I think that I will follow your lead and do the same. I used to drink caffine, before I was a member of the LDS Church, and for some reason I started again about a year ago. Thanks for being a good example.

behka said...

My conscience has struggled with this too. I have been off diet cola for my whole pregnancy mostly because I found that during pregnancy I am prone to anxiety and the caffiene adds to it. Crazy huh? I am committed to be done for good. Good luck to us both!

SunnyD said...

I miss you. I hope this habit kicking is going well.