For those of you who know me well this won't come as a shock, but my kids don't believe in Santa Claus. They know who St. Nicholas was and what a good, generous man he was. They understand that Santa Claus is a fun part of Christmas, and that other little kids believe in Santa and not to ruin it for them, but they also know that Santa is definately not the center of Christmas. A few weeks ago we took our kids to a movie and then out to play on the kids play place and Santa was there. I asked the kids if they wanted to sit on his lap. Hailey and Carter sat on his lap and he was very kind and talked to each of them for a few minutes. There was no way Ellie was getting on his lap and Court just didn't want to. It surprised me that he didn't want to and for a minute I actually felt a little bad, but I really like that my kids know that Santa isn't real. Santa is a fun part of Christmas, but CHRIST is the real reason that we celebrate Christmas. There are no presents under our tree from Santa. Just from the people who know and love my kids. Mean Mom? Maybe, but I'm okay with that. I found this website that had this little poem at the bottom that just verified the feeling I already have about Santa Claus...
Santa Claus belongs to childhood;
St. Nicholas models for all of life.
Santa Claus, as we know him, developed to boost Christmas sales—the commercial Christmas message;
St. Nicholas told the story of Christ and peace, goodwill toward all—the hope-filled Christmas message.
Santa Claus encourages consumption;
St. Nicholas encourages compassion.
Santa Claus appears each year to be seen and heard for a short time;
St. Nicholas is part of the communion of saints, surrounding us always with prayer and example.
Santa Claus flies through the air—from the North Pole;
St. Nicholas walked the earth—caring for those in need.
Santa Claus, for some, replaces the Babe of Bethlehem;
St. Nicholas, for all, points to the Babe of Bethlehem.
Santa Claus isn't bad;
St. Nicholas is just better.
I know there are many stories of St. Nicholas, but I really enjoyed reading through this one on
this site.
9 comments:
Interesting stuff to think about Jess. I'm curious, did you believe in Santa when you were little? I don't think you are a mean mom. Teaching kids the true meaning of Christmas is the most important thing...way to go!
No...my Mom didn't believe in teaching us to believe in Santa either. That's pretty much why we don't believe in Santa.
I think that's great! I don't think I believed in Santa for that long or took him "that seriously". I didn't know you guys as kids didn't believe in him either, not like it's a big deal. I'm glad you're prescribing to your own way of doing things, that's awesome!
We spin the story of Santa a little. They know his name is St. Nicholas, but everyone calls him Santa and that he is full of good and loves children and that there are many St. Nicholas's(we explain that there are men and women that want to spread the goodness that he did and do it today) that spread 'good will towards men'. So, it is magical, but real too. I believed in Santa and was disappointed when I found out that the Santa at the north pole isn't real so I want my children to know of course the 'real'meaning of christmas through Christ, but that there are so many people out there wanting to do good and spread joy! So, at our house they receive one gift from 'Santa' and the rest are from those that love them!
Thanks for sharing!
Jen j
Different strokes for different folks and there is no way you are a mean mom.
Definitly something to think about. And no, I don't think you are a mean mom!!! Hey, can you email me your address? I'd love to send you a christmas card. ;)
I think it's great, too. Anders is inquisitive to the point of us being flabbergasted, and I've been wondering how long we can keep the Santa thing up... I'm already kind of tired of it.
I wasn't into the whole Santa Claus thing with my kids either. We did have Santa come for our big Stafford Christmas Eve celebration though, but I think all you kids knew it wasn't really Santa. Jessica, do you have addresses for Rick, Isaak, and Dan? Your dad said he would email them to us, but he never did. Thanks! Aunt Sue
WOW, Jess.....I love that story!! I also love the story of the gift under the tree filled with kisses. I love to hear other family traditions and learn from them. Thank you for your stories and your thoughts.
Tanya
Post a Comment